Saturday, September 26, 2009

Writing Workshop

Writing is a very important part of our day in Kindergarten. As a group we discuss a topic we will write about and how we will put our ideas down on paper.
At their seats the students first draw a picture for their story. They are encouraged to think about what is going on in the story and what they have drawn. I ask them to say the some of the things they drew in their picture and write the letters for the sounds they hear. For example, if a student drew a story about a dog, they might write the letter D near the picture or on the lines provided.
Often when I ask students to write about their picture they tell me, "I don't know how to spell." I always tell them to try their very best. Also, I'll stretch out the word with them and ask what sounds they hear. Encourage your students at home to listen to the sounds of the words and add letters to their drawings. Before you know it, they will be writing words all on their own!

Here are some pictures from writing workshop...





No comments:

Post a Comment